BREAKING NEWS

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Jack Absolute by C.C. Humphreys

Jack Absolute by C.C. Humphreys
Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 978-1402280702
Published May 2013
Hardcover, 288 pages

This book made me experience such a wide range of emotions! I laughed, grimaced, rolled my eyes, yawned, gasped (not in that particular order) and my heart raced as the story came to a climax with a plot twist I did not see coming. Jack Absolute is the first book in an historical fiction series set during the American revolution that features the swashbuckling rogue hero, Jack Absolute, known as a charming womanizer, cavalry officer and the blood brother of a Mohawk leader.

The novel opens with a scene where a dual takes place and thus begins the story of Jack's many escapes, enough to make me think he has nine lives as he survives nearly impossible situations. Jack has just returned from years abroad and is soon after recruited as a spy for the British in the Revolutionary War. They want to use his connection to the Iroquois people to recruit them on their side of the War. Jack quickly realizes there is a traitor among them, part of a secret society bent on ruling the world, and they want to get rid of Jack because he is on their trail.

Humphreys is a great writer, bringing alive the character of Jack as only he could have done since he, being also an actor, played the role of Jack Absolute in the play The Rivals in 1987. Because he enjoyed this role so much he decided to write a novel based on this character, making him “the Double-O Seven of the 1770s”. It's clear that Humphreys did extensive research and included real-life figures in his story. I have to admit the military talk got boring for me, but I knew it to be essential to the story, so I forced myself to pay attention when reading these parts.

The last part of the book was suspenseful as Jack got closer to discovering what this secret society was and who was their leader. There is plenty of action in this book. The battle scenes are bloody and gruesome, but there is also romance and some funny scenes. Jack wins your heart because he is adorably imperfect, one minute making me want to shake him for his silly mistakes and the next making me marvel at his kindheartedness.

If you like historical fiction set during the American Revolution, this one delivers a good story with unforgettable characters and an ending that left me reeling.

Note: This book is rated P = profanity, S = explicit sex scene and V = violence for war battle scenes, both American and Iroquois. There are a few f-bombs and a few religious expletives. There are two sex scenes in this novel. The first one is at the beginning of the novel and explicit and the second toward the end of the novel and not too explicit.

Reviewed by Laura

Disclosure: Thanks to Sourcebooks for sending me this book for review. I was not compensated in any other way, nor told how to rate or review this product.

Share this:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate your feedback.

Visit Us Today

Visit Us Today
iRead: getting your book in the hands of readers
 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2009-2017 Laura Fabiani Library of Clean Reads . Designed by OddThemes OddThemes