BREAKING NEWS

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Torn From Troy: Odyssey of a Slave (Book 1) by Patrick Bowman

Torn From Troy: Odyssey of a Slave (Book 1) by Patrick Bowman
Post Hypnotic Press
Released June 2013
Narrated by: Gerard Doyle
Length: 5 hours 28 mins
Unabridged

Torn From Troy is a re-creation of Homer's Odyssey as a young adult novel. It begins with the siege of Troy by the Greeks and is told through the eyes of Alexi, a fifteen year-old Trojan boy who is captured by them and made a slave. Alexi is angry and his lack of submission and mouthing off gets him a few beatings. But Alexi is also smart and brave, and this too is noticed by Lopex, the chief commander, who makes use of Alexi's healing skills learnt from his late father. Alexi has no choice but to embark on the perils and adventures that comes with traveling on the sea with what he considers barbarian soldiers. 

For the most part I enjoyed this fantastical tale replete with Greek mythology, unusual characters and even a Cyclops. I remember watching Sinbad movies as a youngster and liking them. Alexi is a likable character, who is stuck in a dangerous situation where he must constantly be on guard and has to use his quick thinking to get out of life-threatening moments. But I have to say this book is very gruesome! Lots of violence, blood and gore. I'm still gagging when I think of some of the scenes with the cyclops. 

This book is geared toward YA, actually Amazon indicates the age range as 10+, but if this book was a movie, it would definitely be rated R. I've read reviews that praise the grisly details in the book, but I think the violence could have been toned down. Do I really need to know how the soldier's brains spattered everywhere and blood and intestines spewed out as he was being eaten? Do we want to put these images in our children's minds in the form of entertainment? Okay, I just had to get that out of my system.

I'm not sure I would have continued reading this book if it was in print, but narrator Gerard Doyle pulled me in with his excellent narration. I think he brought the tale to life, as well as the characters through their voices, and I was curious about Alexi and what would become of him. The book ends with a revelation that stuns Alexi, and the reader knows that more actions and conflict (and probably more bloody scenes) will arise in Book 2.

Note: This book is rated V =  a lot of violence, warfare, bloody and gory

Reviewed by Laura 

Disclosure: Thanks to Post Hypnotic Press for sending me this audiobook for review. I was not compensated in any other way, nor told how to rate or review this product.

Share this:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate your feedback.

Visit Us Today

Visit Us Today
iRead: getting your book in the hands of readers
 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2009-2017 Laura Fabiani Library of Clean Reads . Designed by OddThemes OddThemes