BREAKING NEWS

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Duty by Rachel Rossano

Duty by Rachel Rossano
CreateSpace
ISBN: 978-1482360110
Published Feb 14, 2013
Trade paperback, 352 pages

I really like the way Rachel Rossano writes non-magical fantasy fiction set in medieval worlds. This is the third book I read of hers, and I enjoyed it immensely. I can see she has also grown as a writer. She immersed me right into the fictional world of Rhynan and kept me there.

Civil war has left Brielle Solarius' village destitute. As a noblewoman she feels it is her duty to help the women and children in her village from starvation because of the poor management of her wicked cousin, Lord Wisten. But when he sells her into marriage to save his life, feisty Brielle finds herself the wife of Tomas Dyrease, the new Earl of Irvaine, a man who resembles and acts more like a foot soldier than a noble. But she is bound by duty to the King and her marriage vows. As the two get to know each other amidst betrayals, accusation of treason and a deadly plot, their growing affection for one another is put to the test.

First off, I really liked Brielle and Tomas. She was bright, courageous, and cared deeply about her people. Tomas was a diamond in the rough, chivalrous and loyal. Sparks flew when the two met and I liked their banter. Once they marry, though, Brielle loses some of her feistiness and comes to accept her husband and his affections rather quickly. I would have liked a little more sparing between the two of them. Rossano is a master when it comes to drawing the reader into her stories. Her book beginnings are wonderful, and I always miss some of that suspense and tension she skilfully builds right from the first sentence.

The story pace was good and so was the plot. The dialogue was great, and I liked the medieval setting. This was the perfect novel for me to escape in. I was craving a clean romance with action in a historical setting and this book fit the bill. I can't wait to read more from this indie author whose work I truly enjoy.

Note: This book is rated C = clean read.

The Crown of Anavrea  and The Mercenary's Marriage are the two novellas that I have read and reviewed in the past. Rossano has since given them new covers, which I really like. She has also written another novella called Word and Deed and has just released the full-length novella Wren. Having just read an excerpt of this book, I knew immediately I want to read it!

Reviewed by Laura

Disclosure: Thanks to the author for sending me this book for review. I was not compensated in any other way, nor told how to rate or review this product.

Share this:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate your feedback.

Visit Us Today

Visit Us Today
iRead: getting your book in the hands of readers
 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2009-2017 Laura Fabiani Library of Clean Reads . Designed by OddThemes OddThemes